The Community Development and Education (CDE) Department is saddled with the following responsibilities:
i. Handling Community Relations, Youth Development, Education and Capacity Building, Community Enlightenment, Peace Building Health and Social Services.
ii. Implementation of Programs and projects for improving community relations and engagements; mediation and conflict resolutions between feuding communities.
iii. Organizing Vocational training and skills acquisition programs for youths, women and other members of the communities for self-reliance, increase national productivity and sustainable development, inter alia.
Department has three (3) Division viz;
i. Community Relations and Community Enlightenment;
ii. Capacity Building and Youth Development; and
iii. Health and Social Services.
Achievements of the Department
Training of Fifty (50) Non-Militant Youth of the Niger Delta Region in Artisanship/Skills Acquisition Training Programmes in the Housing Sector at Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji, Osun State, Friday 2nd February, 2018 (under 2017 Approrpiation).
The objective of the training is to create self-employment and make the trainees and employers of labour; to reduce incidence of youth unrest in the Region; and to empower the beneficiaries through skill acquisition and entrepreneurship development.
Two Weeks Certificate Revalidation Exercise for (50) Youths Trained as Seafarer Cadets /Ratings at the Federal University Of Petroleum Resources (FUPRE) Effurun, Warri, Delta State, 8th – 19th January, 2018 (Under 2017 Appropriation).
The Department has so far trained and supported 50 youths in:
- Mandatory standard for Training Certification and watch keeping (STCW 2010) in 2015;
- Re-validation certificates of 50 trainees in preparation for second term experience training in 2017.
Training and Capacity Building for Women in the Niger Delta Region on Confectionaries, Soap Making and Entrepreneurship at the Polytechnic of Ibadan Campus held between 25th March – 20th April, 2018 (Under 2017 Appropriation).
A four (4) week training for (50) women was conducted in the aforementioned Polytechnic with focus on skills Acquisition/Entrepreneurial Training Programmes, confectionaries, Soap and making. The objective of the training was to support social economic transformation of the trainees, among others.
Peace and Security Enlightenment/Sensitization Programme
- The Ministry organized Peace and Security Enlightenment/sensitization programmes across the Niger Delta Region. The programmes were geared towards using dialogue as a tool to mitigate youth restiveness, illiteracy, cultism, pipeline vandalism, kidnapping among other vices.
- Under the 2016/2017 programme implementation the Department embarked on:
i. Stakeholders Consultative Meeting on Securing National Assets and Peace for sustainable development held on 15th November, 2016 at Odo Aye Town Hall, Okiti-Pupa, Ondo State.
ii. Sensitization meeting on Peace, security Enlightenment held on 15th, 22nd and 29th March 2018 in Edo, Cross River and Akwa Ibom States respectively.
Enlightenment campaign for Youth/Women Against HIV/AIDS Roll Back Malaria and Cancer
- The Department, has also held enlightenment campaigns against HIV/AIDS, Roll Back Malaria, Cancer and other prevalent diseases. These medical outreach programmes provides free Medical Consultation, Diagnosis, Treatment and Drugs for communities in the Region,
- So far, these Free Medical Outreach Programmes have been held in Ondo, Edo, Cross River and Akwa-Ibom States respectively.
List of completed projects implemented in 2016 Budget:
- Procurement of furniture for one block of six classrooms at Ossah Community Secondary School, Umuahia, Abia State.
- Procurement of furniture for one block of six classroom at Methodist Primary School, Ede-Maya, Iko Abasi, Akwa-Ibom State.
- Procurement of furniture for one block of six classroom at Government Secondary School, Kolopuma, Kolopuma LGA, Bayesa State.
- Procurement of furniture for one block of six classroom at Comprehensive Secondary School, Nko, Yakurr, LGA, Cross-River State.
- Procurement of furniture for one block of six classroom at Alaghadaro Primary School, Izikiri Uhuim-wode LGA, Edo State.
- Procurement of furniture for one block of six classroom at Egbuoma Secondary School, Egbuama, oguta LGA, Imo State.
- Procurement of furniture for one block of six classroom at State Primary School, Wakama-Ama, Ogu/Bolo LGA Rivers State.
- Procurement of furniture and medical equipment for Health Centres in nine (9) Niger Delta States as follows; Abia, Akwa-Ibom Bayelsa, Cross-River, Edo, Delta, Imo, Ondo and Rivers.
- Supply of medical equipment and accessories for cottage hospital in Ukana, Ikot Ntue, Essien Udim LGA, Akwa Ibom North West Senatorial District.
- Provision of educational materials in University of Uyo, Akwa Ibom State.
- Provision of Drugs to Health Centres in Uyo, Akwa-Ibom North East Senatorial District, Akwa Ibom State as completed project.
Lists of completed projects Captured in 2017 Budget
- Supply of school furniture to Ogbejo Secondary School, Warri Delta State.
- Supply of school furniture to Erejuwa Grammar School, Ode- Itsekiri, Warri South Delta State.
- Supply of school furniture to Udaibo Primary School, Ajudaibo, Warri North, Delta State.
- Supply of school furniture to Omarishen Primary School, Ogidigben.
- Supply of support items to physically challenged, motherless babies’ homes and old people’s homes calabar South, LGA, Cross River State.
- Provision of Desktop Computers, Internet facilities and 15KVA Generators to Obio Itam Mbak, Akwa-Ibom State.
- Furnishing of Oghoye Ehoroke Community Town Hall/viewing centre, Warri North, Delta Sate.
- Equipping schools in Abia, Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Cross River, Delta, Edo, Imo and Rivers States.