The Ministry of Niger Delta Affairs was created on September 10, 2008 by His Excellency, President Umaru Musa Yar’adua to promote and coordinate policies for the development, peace and security of the Niger Delta Region.
The creation of the Ministry was a direct response to the series of agitations by the people of the Region on the perceived sense of exclusion, environmental degradation, poverty and unemployment facing the Region.
Vision & Mission
The Vision of the Ministry is to serve as the primary vehicle for the execution of Government’s plans and programmes for rapid socio-economic development of the Region. The Mission Statement is to formulate and execute plans, programmes and other initiatives as well as to coordinate the activities of Agencies, Communities, Donors and other relevant Stakeholders involved in the development of the Region
The mandate of the Ministry is to formulate and execute plans, programmes and other initiatives aimed at fast-tracking the development of the Niger Delta Region.
Functions of the Ministry are to:
- Oversee the implementation of Government policies on the development and security of the Niger Delta Region;
- Coordinate the formulation of the Development Plan for the Region;
- Formulate policies and programmes for youth mobilization and empowerment in the Niger Delta Region;
- Advise Government on security issues concerning the Region;
- Liaise with relevant Government, Non-Government and private organsizations;
- Formulate and coordinate policies for environmental management in the Region;
- Liaise with host communities for the enhancement of the welfare of the people and the development of the Region;
- Facilitate private sector involvement in the development of the Region;
- Plan and supervise public education/enlightenment programmes;
- Liaise with oil companies operating in the Region to ensure environmental protection and pollution control;
- Organise human capacity development as well as Skills Acquisition Programmes for youths; and
- Take adequate measures to ensure peace, stability and security with a view to enhancing the economic potentials for the Region.
The Ministry has contributed immensely to the infrastructural development of the Region. It has also recorded great success in the Economic Empowerment and Skills Acquisition programmes for the non-militant youths and women. In addition, the creation of the Ministry has contributed to the reduction of threat to peace and security in the Region as most Stakeholders are constantly engaged through sensitization and conflict resolution.
It can be concluded from the foregoing that the Ministry has delivered on its mandates to formulate, oversee and implement Government Policies in the Niger Delta Region; provide roads including efforts at completing the construction of the East-West Road; combat erosion and land degradation problems in many areas in the Region; and take measures to ensure peace, stability and security with a view to enhancing economic potentials of the people of the Region.