The Planning, Research and Statistics Department (PRSD) is responsible for policy formulation and analysis, socio-economic research, development and coordination of strategies for programme/project implementation as well as establishment of data bank and management information system for the Ministry.
The Department has a total staff strength of 77.
The Department is headed by a Director and has four Divisions namely:
- Policy and Planning (P&P);
- Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E);
- Research and Documentation (R&D); and
- Inter-Governmental Relations (IGR).
Each Division is supervised by a Deputy Director. The Library Unit which is also under the Department is also supervised by a Deputy Director, while the Director supervises the ICT Unit.
Functions of the PRS Department
The functions of the Department are as follows:
- Responsible for policy formulation, initiation and coordination;
- Conducting policy research and analysis;
- Responsible for Ministry’s Medium Term Sector Strategy (MTSS);
- Secretariat of the Ministry’s Policy and Planning Committee;
- Liaising with National Planning Commission on MTSS and Policy Frameworks;
- Conducting Management and Sectoral Research;
- Preparing Federal Executive Council Memorandum (FEC) for the Ministry;
- Writing briefs for the Ministers on FEC memos;
- Preparation and publication of quarterly, annual and other periodic reports for the Ministry;
- Preparation of policy documents for the Ministry;
- Preparation and Publication of Digest of Statistics on the Ministry’s Activities;
- Custodian of the Ministry’s Databank and Information Communication Technology (ICT);
- Coordinates, Monitoring and Evaluation of Projects and Programmes of the Ministry;
- Serving as the Secretariat of the National Council on Niger Delta;
- Handling of all Inter-Governmental, Bilateral and Multi-lateral Relations; and
- Supervision and Coordination of the Niger Delta Action Plan.
Achievements of the Department
The Department has achieved the following:
- Coordinated with the Budget Division to prepare the Ministry’s Medium Term Development Plan for the period 2010-2012 and 2011-2013 in consonance with the Government’s major policy thrust;
- Production of Draft report on functional Assessment of the Ministry in Collaboration with the United Nation Development Programme (UNDP);
- Undertook the monitoring and evaluation of the progress of work done on programmes/projects of the Ministry;
- Computerization training for end-users/ICT Capacity Building for Staff;
- Establishment of the Ministry’s Website;
- Successful establishment and convening of the meeting of the National Council on Niger Delta;
- Production of the Niger Delta Action Plan in collaboration with UNDP and other stakeholders;
- Conducted Workshop on the Implementation of the Niger Delta Action Plan;
- Organized Workshop on Conflict Resolution in Partnership with UNDP;
- Solicited the assistance and support of the Development Partners to brief them on the journey so far in the implementation of the Action Plan and the Trust Fund;
- Production of Report on Baseline Study of Social and Infrastructural Facilities in the Niger Delta Region Phase I with the assistance of UNDP; and
- Commenced World Bank –Assisted-Programme on State Employment and Expenditure For Result Project (SEEFOR)